The Encyclopedia of Ireland - Lalor, Brian - Yale University Press
- Related Categories
Published in association with Gill & Macmillan
The Encyclopedia of Ireland
Edited by Brian Lalor; Foreword by Frank McCourt
Winner of the 2003 Professional/Scholarly Publishing Division Annual Awards Competition in the Single Volume Reference/Humanities category
Selected by AAUP as "The Best of the Best from the University Presses: Books You Should Know About"
Selected by Choice Magazine as an Outstanding Academic Title for 2005
Selected as an outstanding book by University Press Books for Public and Secondary School Libraries
Selected by Library Journal as a Best Reference Resource for 2003
The Encyclopedia of Ireland isthe most comprehensive reference work to date on all aspects of Irish life, culture, and history. It encompasses the whole of Ireland—its islands and seas, its people both home and abroad—and provides fascinating facts about subjects from prehistory to the present.
The encyclopedia contains:
• Thousands of entries arranged alphabetically, from the Abbey Theatre in Dublin to Zozimus, a nineteenth-century balladeer;
• More than 700 illustrations and maps, most in full color;
• Coverage of art, biography, cinema, current events, fashion, food, history, Irish language, literature, music, politics, religion, sports, and more;
• Biographies of a wide range of famous people of Irish descent, including St. Brigid, Éamon de Valera, John F. Kennedy, Bono, Eugene O’Neill, Mary Robinson, and William Butler Yeats;
• Articles on often-neglected subjects such as the role of women in Irish life and the contribution of Irish scholarship to science and philosophy;
• Extensive cross-references and a full index.
Brian Lalor is the author of numerous books on Irish landscape, typography, and travel, including The Blue Guide to Ireland, The Irish Round Tower, The Laugh of Lost Men, and West of West. Frank McCourt is the acclaimed author of Angela’s Ashes and ’Tis: A Memoir.
A selection of the History Book Club, Book-of-the-Month Club, the Military Book Club, and the Discovery Channel Book Club
For sale in North America only